Saturday, August 6, 2011

涂鸦 Tuya = Graffiti

There's this road called Moganshan (莫干山路) with a wall right near my apartment complex (see above) that boasts an extremely impressive array of graffiti talent. I've passed by this wall numerous times, each time wishing that I had my camera on hand (or that the weather was more suitable for photographing). Since I'm leaving Shanghai today I decided it was now or never, and lo behold... perfect picture taking day. :)

Some background -- Moganshan is right next to M50 Art District, so it seems very organic that the art would leak out into a public area. I've seen lots of graffiti in New York, and really most in my opinion doesn't constitute art (tagging??!). But this stuff is really damn good. See for yourself.

The section of the wall leading to M50 Art District.

Now there is all this hubbub that the Shanghai government is finally putting the hammer down and taking down the wall at the end of this year. From the interviews on Cityweekend and TimeOut Shanghai, the artists are sad but aren't angry or terribly surprised. After all, graffiti is never meant to be a permanent form of expression. It's always being painted over, sprayed over, covered over. No big deal in my opinion, just hope they find another place to graffiti that I can come take a look when I'm back in Shanghai!

Next to M50 there are these slums, and god they really really stink (as in smell). This probably the reason why they're demolishing the area. Plus this place is really prime property... right next to the Suzhou Creek, which is being beautified right now.

Oh yea and I almost forgot to mention that I got interviewed by a news crew about how I felt about Moganshan wall being demolished (sentiment expressed above). Pretty cool. Nice to know I can speak about esoteric subjects in Chinese and not sound like a complete fool! Or maybe I should search online for the clip and determine that later, haha. :)


Don't be sad Graffiti Panda, it is the Circle of Life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment