Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Shanghai Fashion Week

It seems like every city and their mama holds their own fashion week, and Shanghai is no exception. This year thanks to the always lovely Anita, several of our girlfriends were able to join the fuss at the 10th Anniversary Shanghai Fashion Week opening show, which was also Vera Wang's Asia debut

I always tell friends who have known me for a long time that I still find it strange and amusing to be in this mix of fancy and rare birds. I love people watching in crowds like these, it's a great place to psychoanalyze everyone, including yourself. I hope I never take myself too seriously. I did have the chance to check out some of the other local Chinese designer shows, but right now they have very little professional meaning to me unless I want to 湊熱鬧,我最不喜歡妝模作樣。There are actually quite a few interesting ideas and proposals flying around on how to promote local Chinese designers, but I'll leave that for another time when things actually start cookin'.

Does anyone understand the real purpose of a fashion show? Unfortunately I don't think many people do, including those who attended the show. The sad reality is that there are very few buyers who attend Shanghai Fashion Week, so these shows are purely for press, which does not necessarily turn into any form of economic benefit. That is the major quandary that Chinese designers face when assessing whether to spend big bucks putting together a show, therefore the best designers either go to Paris/Milan/London/NYC or don't bother at all. And the brands that do show are ones that are more commercial (and less design). Then buyers are even less inclined to come to Shanghai Fashion Week because the shows suck. It's a vicious cycle. :(

BUT I have to admit that this was one of the best looking crowds that I have yet to see in Shanghai. (Reminder to self: don't drink the Kool-aid!!!)

Ma'am, I don't think your name is Vera... and you have a dot on your nose. Teehee.

Lots of pretty creatures! :)

I really liked all the looks that was shown in this collection, except for the red bridal dresses which were obviously directed at the Chinese market. Vera's bridal is going to do fantastically in China.

xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment