Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hail Mary!

Uh oh... only ONE WEEK before the 2012 Shanghai Marathon.
I am only doing the halfie, but still so so so screwed. :(

I've been doing a bit of Hail Mary "training" in Queens right now -- at this point my goal is just to finish the race without blowing out a (or both) knee(s) and/or collapsing a (or both) lung(s). I have not properly trained at all, and in fact have gained 5 lbs since landing in New York. Go me! :D I signed up 2 months ago with my friends Vivi and Amy because we thought it would be fun to set a physically challenging goal, and also be able to run around the entirety of Shanghai without fear of getting flattened by crazy Chinese drivers. I am still super excited about the race despite my full realization that I am not in tiptop shape. It'll be nice to say that I've "done it", like a notch on my headboard (fuck yea). 

Running in Forest Park is a such a luxury, I truly love this place. It's just across the street from my Mom's apartment, and I'd run here almost everyday if I lived here (but I pray that will never happen). I used to hate running until around a year and a half ago when I started training for the Great Wall Half-Marathon. At that time I was struggling with a lot of issues, and running helped me maintain my sanity -- being alone in nature makes you realize how insignificant most of our "problems" are. First world problems melt away quickly when you feel small and in sync with the bigger picture. Plus, running is therapeutic because it lets your mind relax as your body works hard. I always feel mentally refreshed after a challenging run.

I'd pick deciduous forests over soggy tropical rainforests any day. I felt like Pocahontas with all the incredible flecks of colors whirling around and the leaves crunching under my feet. I'd whip my hair around  in the wind if it were actually long enough. ;) And the air! THE AIR IS SO BRISK AND CLEAN. I don't think I ever appreciated clean air until living in China, but wow the difference is incredible... I'm never taking this stuff for granted again. 

Mom exercising with me... walking backwards around the track. 
We shouldn't be surprised that old Chinese people do the same strange things all around the world.

WAH!
.... to be continued. Pant pant pant...

0 comments:

Post a Comment