Monday, November 12, 2012

Batty Cattoween

Now I really meant it when I said that Halloween was spectacularly fun this year. I ordered FIVE catsuits for my girlfriends Janet, Amy, Elaine, and Viv (replaced with Nicole), with TWO really horribly fitting batsuits for our intrepid young male friends (AJ and Kun). I got a bazillion packages from Taobao delivered to my office the week before Halloween, all with a scary assortment of catwoman accessories that looked like S&M props. Some of them were actually S&M props (hello, whip). And now I get S&M ad cookies whenever I log onto Taobao, so very NSFW.

None of us knew how the costumes would really turn out because  pictures on Taobao can be very misleading. I think all the girls were pleasantly surprised at just how comfy and flexible our one-pieces were, however our Batmen looked like a very unfortunate and unfashionable lot. I would say that our retro heroes looked like they had wedgie diapers on, but hey... can you really complain with this bat-cat ratio? I think not. :)

Getting ready in my Cat Cave!
Bats getting frisky there, time to change the sheets.

AJ and Korwin hailing a cab outside my apartment. Korwin is dressed as an overworked banker getting on a redeye.
I find this picture so funny. I laugh at uncomfortable situations, and Diaper Batman ofc.

Around 20-30 of us circusfolk gathered at Pizza Marzano to be rowdy and drive out all the other customers. We demanded lots of carby sustenance before our grand entrance through the haloed tourist trap of...XIN... TIAN... DI (新天地).

Oh hai, Boss Lady!
Okay you win.

Then began our self-made Annual Halloween Parade!!! This was my first year joining this tradition, but apparently this was the fifth (if not more) time that this group of friends have done this event. I don't know how they came up with this idea, but it's brilliant. Basically Xintiandi is where all the tourists mill about, especially around dinnertime because there are a lot of al fresco dining along the pathway. So we marched from one end of Xintiandi to the other end, taking our sweet time to cause all sorts of chaos and bottleneck traffic as the crowd converged upon us.

If you didn't know this already, China is a place where the herd mentality reigns supreme. If one person finds something remotely interesting and pauses for a second, soon another will be curious to see what is going on as well. And then again, and again, repeated and exponentially, until literally just 10 seconds later you are literally encircled by a mob of bystanders. That is why this tradition is awesome, because everyone wants to take photos with us and we feel like supastarzzzzz! Even though most of our costumes are not that creative! Halloween costume mediocrity in China passes with flying colors!

Holy shit, Ailin you are a scary bitch!

Batbaby and his two daddies.
Yea, this is totally a random kid that we stole.

In case you didn't believe me when I said we were hot shit that night.
How many Weibos do you think we were on?

After we finished making our round through Xintiandi, we flocked towards the Bund for a party at Cuvve. Not the biggest fan of Cuvve, but everyone was totally decked out and I saw some pretty fantastic costumes. Yay for the expat community in Shanghai! All the locals think we're nuts!

Sir, I think your batcave has been infiltrated.

在上海過萬聖節實在太有意思了。

1 comments:

suryasta said...

cute post, love the captions <3

Post a Comment