Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Madame Secretary

Yesterday Hillary Clinton came to SAIS to speak about the Global Health Initiative, which is a proposal to work with developing nations in improving... global health. It's outlined to be a 6-year $63 billion plan, with the goal of creating sustainable health programs with partner countries throughout the world. Keyword is sustainable. No more throwing billions of American taxpayer money down a sinkhole, please. You can watch her speech here.

Hillary came rolling into the front gates outfitted with a ridiculous orange power suit and accessorized with mean security detail. I was at closest around 10 feet away. She looked pretty much exactly what you would have expected... perfectly poised and reassured, with a purposeful energy. Very powerful, that Madame Secretary. I was too scared to take a photo when she walked by because I didn't want to get Terry Tate'd by Secret Service, haha. I laugh now, but it SO NOT FUNNY if I ended up tasered and on CNN. After seeing a few people take pictures without consequences, I finally ventured to snap a few shots myself. And I'm still alive, woohoo!

Her speech was around an hour long, and I attest that she is one talented orator. And of course she is, especially with her past presidential campaign and current job requirements... I felt her words didn't flow out like the honey (like Barack "The Siren" Obama) but were almost surgical instead -- deliberate and perfectly executed.

Listening attentively in the Q&A session.
Yea, you know you're a bad-ass.

I'm not in any way familiar with global health issues so I can't speak extensively about this issue, but I learned that the health of our fellow world citizens is not only a moral responsibility, but also a crucial element in our national security. It appeals to the heart and the brain, and I do very much hope that we can make this initiative work.

I'm happy that SAIS is turning out to be exactly what it said it was. It's exciting to witness things like this, if not for the star factor then at least for the action. What I mean by action is this: very important things that extend beyond us as mere individuals are in the works everyday. Do you want to be doing it, or do you want to just take it? (Pitcher or receiver? HAHA just kidding.) I'm not sure what I want to be in the future yet, but I know I want to play an active part in the world. But there's just so much out there that I don't understand... as they say, the more you learn the stupider you feel. :p

0 comments:

Post a Comment