Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fatty Daddy (Christmas Edition!)


Dad Eating Stuff.
[Clockwise from upperleft corner] 

  • Our first meal after getting picked up at Songshan Airport, pork rib vermicelli 猪排米粉 at a local hole in the wall with simply boiled veggies. Very 台灣 and very soothing. Tastes even better with a spoonful of black vinegar!
  • A MUST HAVE dessert at Ximen Ding (西門町), baked mochi on a stick slathered with brown sugar, condensed milk, sesame paste (take your pick!). No trip to Taiwan without baked mochi, yet not many people know about this treat. I dream of this even before boarding the plane, and by the time I hit the ground I'm ready to run towards this stall with my arms wide open. I'm shameless, but once you have a taste you'll understand why! It's literally my favorite dessert in the world because it's sticky yet crunchy and sweet yet not cloying so... and I have no idea how to give you directions on getting there. BOO I SUCK.
  • All-you-can-eat spicy hotpot (麻辣火鍋), all the meat all the veggies all the drinks all the Haagen Daz included. Again, another required stop on the food train which will add a couple inches to your waist, so bring your stretchy pants! Call me a heathen, but my main reason for insisting on going to spicy hotpots is for the 鴨血. I'm not going to translate that for you. O_O
  • A legendary breakfast joint in Taitung (台東) called Breakfast King (早點大王) with the richest soymilk ever. My dad is making a calorific fried dough (燒餅+油條) sandwich... 

No you can't eat these train tickets to Taitung enroute to Green Island (綠島), but that didn't stop us from trying...!

Next update -- Green Island!

0 comments:

Post a Comment