Friday, July 16, 2010

Sloggin' Thru Slovakia

Day 8: On the road from Krakow to Budapest, via the Slovak Republic

What to say about Slovakia? Well, it used to be part of CzechoSLOVAKIA until 1993... which is why my stagnated 4th Grade brain didn't really process that the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic had a divorce until very recently. Like a few weeks ago. I'm going to hide in a corner now!

Okay, I'm back from my self-imposed time out. Driving through Slovakia was a well-needed rest day from all the walking we were doing for the week before. We saw endless fields of domesticated vegetation (beets, corn, poppies?) and lush hills and valleys. We all caught up on sleep, especially my mom who decided to burka-burka the heck out. I also learned a fair amount about the country's history, but I'm going to opt out explaining it since I don't have a good picture-to-text ratio because I was on the bus most of the time. Go Wiki!

This is actually my scarf over her face. As you know, Asian women over the age of 10 are deadly afraid of sun rays. Even if they're already in an enclosed vehicle.

The border between Poland and Slovakia.
Yes, it's really that easy...
We Americans are surprised.

When we finally arrived in Budapest (Hungary), it was starting to get dark. Our hotel was at the end of Arpad Hid on the Buda side of the city, so my mom and I decided to take a sunset stroll across the bridge through Margit Island and over to Pest.

Midway over Arpad Hid.
So pretty, no photo retouching at all here!

Sunsets are always lovely, especially when you first land in a new place.
The air was teeming with mosquitoes!!! I seriously exposed my index finger to press the camera button for 2 seconds and within that moment an enterprising mosquito landed on it and took a big chomp. I guess it was a Hungary mosquito. *ahem*

Budapest.
Czechoslovakia.
Brangelina.

0 comments:

Post a Comment