Saturday, July 24, 2010

My Little Women

Meet two of my besties: Jess and Katherine.

Just got back from a 2 day trip to Boston to celebrate one of my best friend's (early) birthday -- Katherine's been burning her neurons into oblivion by first studying for her pre-med classes and now cramming for the MCAT. Seriously, I think wannabe doctors are such a masochistic breed. All this saving lives business... I just don't get it. :p

The always beautiful and classy Jess, who is one of my best friends from college, picked me up from the Bolt Bus gate in South Station on Thursday. After a nice Indian lunch, she brought me to the Cambridge Antique Market, which I HIGHLY recommend!! I'm the kind of gal who can't shop at department stores, can't go to Century 21, can't dig through sample sales. Although I'm not making any income, my life force literally gets sapped away when I have to rummage through crap just to find one hidden gem. Patience, I have not. Therefore, I really enjoyed myself at the Antique Market because it's laid out in individual booths (sections), each curated/stylized by individual sellers. These booths are not only extremely well-edited, but also reasonably priced. And by reasonable, I mean basement bargain bin... the only limiting factor in buying something is whether you actually have space for it in your life. There's nothing that you need, but everything that you want.

That's a lucky hound.

Even though Jess and I had 2 hours to wander through all 4 floors of the Cambridge Antique Market building, it still didn't feel like enough time to properly admire all the unusual knick-knacks in each nook. This place was heaven on earth for an interior designer like Jess. For a layman like me, I had simple fun playing the "If I had my own home..." game, where I mentally picked out all the things that I would buy if... I actually had my own house. :( Sigh. But don't pity me, because I didn't come away empty-handed -- I bought myself an authentic python skin purse in excellent condition for $50! Gotta fake it till you make it!

We both thought this was a very interesting piece. $350 USD.
"Chinese ancestral portrait painting, 19th Century. A photo of a relative, then painted around the face with bright and geometric patterns. Many times they show up as a set of maternal/paternal grandparents."

I spent the rest of my time in Boston with Katherine, where we played wiffleball and drank lots of beer with her local friends. On Saturday night, we went out dancing at some club at Cambridge. Obviously it couldn't compare to New York, Taipei, HK... but was it lame? Hardly! Thanks to the company that we kept, I had the time of my life. I don't think I've danced this spastically since the 90s. On purpose, of course. ;)

Woe is me, I have decided to become a doctor.

P.S. She's single. And she will rock your world.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)
我愛妳

0 comments:

Post a Comment