Tuesday, November 22, 2011

You Like Me, You Really Do



I got cheerfully accused by a reader for turning my blog into a lazy photo dump. I may be verbally anemic these days, but at least it's a pretty photo dump, right right right? :) Well if its words you want, it's words you'll get.

There is a delicate balance between saying too little and saying too much on a public space like a blog. In high school, I made the grave mistake of letting loose some unsavory sentiments, which cost me a seat in the more popular clique (complete tween death sentence). Livejournal = Pandora's Box! :p Never one to submit to social leprosy, I bravely marched forward to explore other forms of digital public expression by initiating a succession of blogs ("You Can Have Your Cake and Eat It Too", "El Sueno de Miffy", "Nihao, Sunshine"), each mercilessly retired/put down due to either waning interest or a healthy dose of paranoia. The decision to discard a blog was often followed by a general resolution to "do better next time". I guess I just wasn't proud of their contents anymore, which often disintegrated into an extreme of emo-ville or boring-land. Unlike physical diaries, however, you can't bury blogs into very bottom of a corrugated box at Manhattan Storage. Blogs carry on like zombies... not breathing, but lurking silently to bite your head off, i.e. when your potential employer cleverly decides to Google your sorry ass. (Um, does the State Department do this? Because that would explain a lot, ha.) For some reason we just can't help being shameless exhibitionists online, like liverspotted geriatrics obliviously airing out saggy private parts at your neighborhood YMCA locker room.  I think a lot of blogging awkwardness stems from self-fascination, a crime that I am guilty of as well. If I like me, then I believe that somehow, somewhere, you MUST find me interesting as well. Yes, I will do the world a favor and spread the gospel. After all, I've always been a charitable person! :)

I was soaking in a piping hot bath (THE best place to ponder) when I came to a realization about my most recent approach to blogging with The Adventures of Cap'n Miffy. With my new full-time job, I could very easily fill my blog with content that is work-related. I could update my blog a few times a week. I'm working in the fashion industry now, which should be rather fascinating to most of my readers. I could post information on the events I was last involved with, pictures of interesting people and beautiful clothes. I could throw out European names that no one could pronounce without sounding douchey, images of outfits that America's 99% could never dream to afford. But I'm not going to. Because that would condemn The Adventures of Cap'n Miffy to a slow and painful death.

And I'm not a douchebag, at least I don't think?

Blogging is a form of personal escape, where I either enter some sort of happy trance in organizing pleasant memories or thoroughly attempt to explain the confusion/pain incurred in Growing Up. It's supposed to be a straightforward communication from me to you, with no hidden agenda, insinuations, or hypocrisy. I write about things that will never hurt anyone's feelings or dispense unnecessary judgment. Likewise, I don't want to accidentally give off the impression that I'm showing off, or that I'm self-absorbed. Plus if I sound like that then it's probably half-way true. It's just too easy to fall into that trap, which is why I write about things that I love the most -- my friends, family, and adventure.

Well then, that leaves me with less content these days since almost of my time is consumed by never-ending workdays... perhaps I will slip in some stuff here and there, but I don't want to make work into a recurring topic here. Some people may be defined by their profession, like "Peter the Finance Guy", "Paul the Lawyer", "Mary the Air Stewardess", but don't ever put me into a box like that, please. Of course, you're free call me "Miffy the Conqueror of the Seven Seas" but that embodies the character that I'd be proud to represent... it's the spirit that I hope The Adventures of Cap'n Miffy continues to advocate for a very a long time. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment