Friday, September 30, 2011

Reshuffle

It's very strange to be back in Shanghai. The only way I can describe it is like if you're running on a treadmill for an hour and then you suddenly stop and take a walk on solid ground. That sensation where your senses are all dislocated. I got so used to New York that Shanghai feels like a weird dreamland... I wonder when I'll snap back into reality and stop mentally processing all this in 3rd person.

I arrived Wednesday evening SHA time with two 50 lb luggages (maxed out on economy class), my 18.4" laptop, and a carry-on bag busting at the seams. Girls have way too much shit!!!!!!!! :) Right now I'm crashing with my boss in her super posh apartment (with several live-in maids), where the single room that I'm staying in will probably far exceed size/comfort of the entire studio that I will end up renting. I need to figure out where I'm going to live, but that will depend on proximity to office/gym/public transportation. Also, if I decide to rent a bigger apartment then I can bring 小虎 over from the US, otherwise my dad wants to keep him. My dad doesn't have the confidence that I'll stay in China, so he doesn't want me to bring the cat over and stress him (小虎) out. I told him that I had all the intention to making it big here, but lately I've been wondering myself whether it needs to be do or die. At the end of the day, I tell myself, all these musings are rather pointless. The main thing is to accomplish the task at hand while maintaining a level of flexibility and ambition.

Perched in the Shanghainese version of a NYC "black car", ideal during rush hours if you don't mind speeding at 40mph without a helmet (or seatbelt).

Work has ramped up quickly. There are so many things that I need take a role in, from relationship management, legal work, financial projections, top-level business strategy... a lot of these are long-term projects that will surely take on different dimensions as time passes, so sometimes I have to remind myself not to waste time on theoretics. The work is not brainbustingly difficult, but it is trying on your patience. Whoever coined "patience is a virtue" is so on the money.

Recently there has also been some personal developments that has lifted up my spirits tremendously, as if I really needed more of that during my NY vacation! It's incredibly exciting and has renewed my faith in relationships. :) I don't know what direction it will ultimately take, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. The way I see it -- there's only upside from here!

I guess the whole theme of this post is that I'm taking things one step at a time, but these steps can also be leaps and bounds... it's time to make something of myself. :p

0 comments:

Post a Comment