Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pretty Little Things

NY Fashion Week is here!!! Last Saturday I went to Alexander Wang's Spring/Summer RTW 2012 show, which was very enlightening for a fashion noobie like me. It was fun to go backstage and see how much work goes into a 10 minute runway production (a lot of work.. wow, and bankers complain about a powerpoint presentation). It was also the best people watching experience ever, where the normal-looking sticks out like a sore thumb as abnormal. Basically I got tickets to a circus of beautiful people with Alex as the ringmaster. :)

Aila Wang, the secret star of the show with adorable AW clothes made just for her!

Preparation bustle. Lots of leggy models.
Yes, that's Alicia Keys. :) And also a ton of other famous people that I'm too unsavvy to recognize.

I LOVED the runway set. It was so cool and creative. Basically they had 4 blocks of double-sided mirrors and the model would first walk straight down so that the front audience could see the look from all different angles. If you sat on the 3 other sides you could still get glimpses of all these different looks while the models were walking through the set. It was a great concept that was much better than the traditional up and down runway format. The music that they used was this super energetic techno African mix that got you really pumped up, really appropriate for the city chic sporty warrior look. For me the real winner in this collection were the shoes. GIMME.

AW sprinting in and out for credits.

Carine Roitfeld, former French Vogue EIC.

The afterparty at the pier had a frathouse themed setup that was really divey and incredibly fun. :D Again, beautiful drunk people abound. Really strict entrance policy though, but I was able to walk in with the family.

The guest performer was Odd Future, which I didn't appreciate (hoping for Lady Gaga, ha!). 
Call me prude, but rapping about doing sexually deviant and horrible things to women will never get any pass my musical vocabulary. I don't care how "in" they are right now, I'm putting it out there that I hated this group. Otherwise the party was legen [wait for it] dary!!!!

Beautiful things can be incredibly profound and moving when they're appreciated solely for what they are, but often times they're misused as social tools. That's when beauty turns superficial. Just like how you should love yourself for who you are, what you perceive as beautiful is just as much a personal choice. Never let someone else dictate that, even if some fashion influencer told you so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment