Monday, July 11, 2011

Macy Gray @ MINT

So I'm not even a Macy Gray fan, but I try my best to broaden my horizons and do new stuff whenever possible. Last Thursday my Italian roommate Ronnie and his Polish friend Aga and I went to MINT to watch Macy Gray perform live. One key takeaway:

CLUB PERFORMANCES <<<<<<<<<<<<<< REAL CONCERTS.
ALWAYS!!!

We paid 200 RMB ($30+ USD) to get in after the club let in all the "models" and members. Then we shoved our way to the front of the stage and waited and waited and waited. Macy Gray was supposed to perform at midnight but didn't start until nearly 2am completely stoned out of her mind, swaying and grabbing her dress, smushing her own face around... I totally thought she was going to fall deadweight right on my head. I stood first row separated by only the pudgy (but very serious) Chinese bouncers. Macy Gray is actually a really amazing singer and it would have been an amazing performance... if she were actually on stage for more than 10 minutes. That's right, the lady only performed for 10 minutes (3 songs at most) and then stumbled back to her booth. Then she stumbled back out and pretended to DJ for the rest of the night. Wtf. I did not come to listen to your iTunes playlist.

Anyways, I've learned my lesson -- much rather pay a hundred bucks to see someone sing an actual full show where I can sit down (yes, stood on my 4 inchers all night). I still had fun though, and now I'm going to download her music on Baidu to get my money back. HA! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment