Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Lunar New Year!

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR (or Chinese New Year for the Sino-centric)!

I'm in Taiwan spending CNY and my birthday with my dad and family. I was born on CNY so it's quite easy for them to remember. :)

Why is it that birthdays matter less and less each year? My hypothesis is that when we're little, our world is also very small, so the space that we take up in that world tends to be proportionally rather large. Our parents dote on us 24/7, our tight clique of friends all revolve around the same theme and priorities. We feel like we are important, and we actually are, in our world. But as we grow older, our world gradually expands outward, and the radius between the nucleus of our world (ourselves) and the perimeter of this world gains more and more distance.


So we shrink proportionally in turn...
At least this is how I feel? I don't speak for all 27 year olds of course. :)

I went to the temple last night and picked out my fortune for the year. I was really nervous, quite silly actually since I'd like to say that I don't believe in this sort of stuff. First you throw out these red crescent wooden things ("babui" in Taiwanese), and you keep on tossing them on the floor until you get one facing up and one facing down (that means "yes"), then you go to the big canister filled with sticks and pick one out. It'll have a number and you'll take it to the nearby cabinet and open the drawer with your number. It'll have your fortune... quite fun and nerve-wracking!

I can't tell you how relieved I was when I got a good fortune. I would have been pretty depressed if it said that I was going to have a shitty year... as if things weren't hard enough! It's just superstition, I know, but when you already feel like a speck in the world, sometimes you just need a little faith.

0 comments:

Post a Comment