Friday, February 18, 2011

Firefight in Nanjing

FINALLY I CAN SLEEP. The Lantern Festival is OVER.

I can't tell you just how annoyed I was when fireworks started going off [literally] right next to my window at 6:00am. BOOM (x100). Rays of light piercing my eyeballs. It was like flash bangs being repeatedly thrown into my room. I understand that in China I should be culturally sensitive, but just what is the point of setting off fireworks that early in the morning? It's too bright to see jack shit, people (me) are getting much needed beauty-sleep, and HELLO... don't you have anything better to do, loser?!!! Where's my flower pot.

Well anyway, the fireworks/firecrackers went off through out the day. They're much prettier and tolerable at night (see video below) and it was really cool to see fireworks exploding in the sky right above your head. If you can't beat em, might as well join em! I wanted to buy some off the street too but considered the fact that I like having all 10 of my fingers. :)

Here's what it was like from my apartment on the 17th floor. Looks like a war zone!

Yuan Xiao Jie 元宵節, aka Lantern Festival, aka 15th day of the Lunar New Year, aka the last day that people are allowed to set off fireworks in the city. Boy, are they taking advantage of it.... (Nanjing, Jiangsu, PRC)

0 comments:

Post a Comment