Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waterholes

I've been so busy getting used to Nanjing that I just haven't been in the photographer mood lately. I carry my camera with me most days, but I haven't been too inspired to pull it out of the recesses of my bag. BUT! Now that I have my own place with some basic comforts (toilet paper, linens, bedsheets oh my!!!), it's time to emerge from my lens and say harro world. :)

My conclusion after 2 weeks here is that I really like the people that I've met here at HNC. It takes a special kind of soul to try to conquer the Chinese language, something that takes a bit of persistence, passion, idealism, and insanity. Obviously I'm not including myself in this mix since I'm a cheater being a 華裔 (hua2yi4, overseas Chinese), but there's a bit of curious intensity that is required in learning Chinese to the graduate level... and I really admire that.

As for our Chinese counterparts, I haven't gotten to know them as well as the International students but there are a few girls that I absolutely adore. Generally speaking they're all 22-23 years old, straight out of undergrad. They're very innocent and wide-eyed, and simply charming (They're so fluffy!). Chinese boys on the other hand are totally on the opposite end of my spectrum. Most of the them are like uninteresting alien creatures to me. And I really hate shaggy permy haircuts on guys. In fact, I'm repulsed. :p

We had a fair measure of social events this week -- a HNC Happy Hour, beer @ Talking Bar...

Behind the magic @ Happy Hour
Our 班委 hard at work

老外s playing dice games, hahahaha.

The next day we all reconvened at "Talking Bar" right outside HNC (and across from the Nanjing University Foreigners building). Choice of poison: 15Y Tiger and 25Y local brewery magic (Oktoberfest Pilsner, wow it was ridiculously delicious and I'm not even a beer person). They even had Duvals and Chimays for less than $6 USD. LOVE the CPI here in China. :D

Gene drinking beer out of a pitcher, of course.

1 beautiful Casey and 2 sleepy schmoes. :p

Why of course, what party would be complete without white boys and Jagerbombs? :)

Vroom vroom!
I was waiting for this bike to Transform all night, but the guy moved it before it could. :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment