Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kayakfornia Dreams

Me oh my, I don't know what happened... it seems like I've gotten lazy with blogging after coming back from Hawaii a month ago! I've been incredibly busy with work, family, friends... and my mom just landed in Shanghai a few days ago. Excuses excuses. :p But to be honest, I have so much going on right now that I haven't been in the mood to sit down and pound out a good entry. But the more you wait the greater the inertia...

OKAY SO WHERE WERE WE? 
Hawaiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jing, Sandy, Chris, Shaun and I went on an amazing day tour operated by Twogoodkayaks where we paddled our way across the sea from Oahu to Mokulua Island. Kevin, our tour guide, warned us that we'd end up burning at least 2000 calories kayaking that day... and boy it sure felt like it!!! Paddling in the sea is no joke, and when the waters get choppy you either fight your way through or you float back to shore. I for one am ALL FOR physically strenuous adventures... it's incredibly rewarding to be challenged while soaking in new experiences. That, my friends, is why I have the salty soul of a pirate captain. o_o HA.

Christopher Smee, my cabin boy.
He just got promoted from cupbearer.

Our tour guide surfing the waves with his kayak.

Mokulua Island is actually a bird sanctuary, where these birds (ah, don't remember what type) come to breed and lay their eggs. These birds actually spend their entire lives at sea, coming back to land only to hatch their chicks. As you can see, their nests are actually just holes in the ground. It's easy to squish them and their babies. Therefore we must actively protect them. o_o

A Chinese person would find you an easy meal....

Another thing about Mokulua Island is that Hawaiian royalty used to hold luaus around its naturally formed bath, called the Queen's Bath. Apparently that was the queen's special place to hold parties and stuff. I can see why, because it is gorgeous! Blue skies, green waters, dark rocks, white surf, clean air, calm skies.... I could have stayed out here all day.

Shaun. Me. Chris. Jing + John Locke from Lost??? O_O
Sandy pansied out, but she can't swim without floaties. :)

After exhausting 75% of our energy GETTING to Mokulua Island, it was a bit of a struggle RETURNING to Oahu. Kevin rewarded us nicely with several cups of sugary instant coffee, heated up by an ingenious little contraption made out of a soda can!!! Basically it's comprised of the bottoms of two soda cans stacked into each other bottoms out, becoming a little cylindrical box. Small holes are poked around the top, and when you fill the box with denatured alcohol (which you can find anywhere apparently) and set it on fire, tiny flames will come out just like it would in a stove. It's such a curious simple little thing. :)

Kevin making us gourmet coffee, Mokulua style. ^_~

It was very Sandy. -_-;;; HAHAHAHA.
And Chris' Castle, which I crushed mercilessly with my foot while cackling towards the sky.

My mates. :)
GROUP HUG! We conquered Mokulua and all its avian residents! They stood no chance.

Now onward to bigger adventures...

0 comments:

Post a Comment