Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rockaway Surfing

A happy bunch of ninja sealions.
Ed: Um, why are you emoting the number 6?
M: Cowabunga, dude!

Just came back from a weekend of what was basically a glorious marathon Columbia reunion + their Significant Others. I went hungry hippo in K-town with BBQ marinated meats, cheap Korean lounge beers, Billy's Bakery cupcakes, super delicious Italian at Pepe e Cacio. It's no wonder I'm at my "winter weight" right now (as my mom reminds me everyday), but who cares because I am doing physical activities too, like...
SURFING AT ROCKAWAY BEACH!

I didn't think that there was any surfing in New York City, but apparently people give lessons there with board and suit rentals, perfect for noobies. I've only gone surfing one other time (Ilan, Taiwan) but didn't really manage to stand up unless you count wobbly kneeling. This time however, I was able to stand for about 3-5 seconds a few times before bailing. Improvement is the stuff of life. :) I also managed to orchestrate/participate in a few spectacular surfing collisions, which was sadistically satisfying.

Even though it was only 70 degrees, windy, and overcast at the beach, the water was surprisingly bearable, even refreshing. We had a couple of friends sit out because they didn't want to risk entering icy water, but with booties and a 2-3mm wetsuit, I was nice and toasty inside. I had a terrific time out there with my homies, and I definitely recommend people to check out Rockaway Beach for a local adventure.

The cutest engaged couple that I know. Congratulations Hubert & Judy!

1 comments:

scorpiojing said...

Just be careful not to bump into the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, like Keanu Reeves in Point Break! They get mad and try to cut you, apparently.

Post a Comment