Sunday, October 2, 2011

Do(e): a Female Deer

I attended a Republic of China concert at NYU celebrating its centennial the Sunday before I left New York. Mom was part of a 100-member chorus and sang Alto. The whole affair was pretty good (they had incredible instrumental and opera performances too). I guess I'm obliged to say that, but my mom's 100-member chorus was actually quite impressive. They sang a very moving rendition of 龍的傳人 "Descendants of the Dragon", an old melody that I was familiar with. This time I was able to follow its lyrics and realized that it was about a deep yearning and pride for a home that you've never been able to come back to (because of the war, see below). It was very moving.

History tidbit -- The Republic of China (ROC) = Taiwan. People's Republic of China (PRC) = China. The centennial refers to the Xinhai Revolution that kicked off on October 10th 1911 when Dr. Sun Yat Sen's Kuomintang Party overthrew the imperial Qing Dynasty and remained in power in China until the Chinese Civil War, when the Kuomintang was defeated by the Communist Party and retreated to the island of Taiwan. So technically this centennial refers to the amount of time since the last emperor was in power, and only the Taiwanese really celebrate it. China celebrates the anniversary of the PEOPLE'S Republic of China every October 1st. 

Now you know where I get my tendency to throw out the peace sign. :D

You were great, Mom!!! [She reads my blog, ha.]
So proud of you. 想妳!

0 comments:

Post a Comment